Channa dal/split pea chutney/dip
Split peas/channa dal is clean base ingredient which you can blend to make gluten-free, delicious and healthy sides. It’s my favorite way to enjoy and serve guests. But I always flavor my dip to make even more delicious and spicy.
Serve it with dosas/idlis or slather it over your bread slice to make sandwiches, it tastes lovely in all it’s avatars.
Yields- 2-3 servings
Preparation time-5 minutes
Cooking time-10 minutes
- Channa dal-1/2cup
- Desiccated/dry grated coconut-2-3tbsp
- Red chillies-3
- Tamarind pulp- 2tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Curry leaves-4-6
- Dry roast channa dal in a pan for couple of minutes on a low flame until its golden. Let it cool a bit.
- Now place roasted channa dal, red chillies, coconut, tamarind pulp, salt and blend it to smooth by adding some water.
- Transfer it to the bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a small pan, add mustard seeds as it crackles.
- Add curry leaves, saute till the curry leaves become crisp.
- Pour the tempering on to the chutney, mix well.
Serve with your favourite Dosa/Crepes: