Spinach/palak Rava Idli (Green idli)
It is a specality breakfast dish in Karnataka and popular in resturants across Bangalore. I tried to make it unique by adding spinach puree to give a greeny look.
The preparation does not require any soaking/fermenting and it is almost like instant idli just that it requires preparation and 10 minutes of resting time.
It is garnished with cashew nuts and grated carrot.
- Yields – 12 to 15
- Preparation time-10 minutes
- Resting time-10-15 minutes
- Cooking time-8-10 minutes (per batch)
- Rava/semolina/Sooji- 1 1/2 cup
- Natural yogurt-1 cup (adjust as per the consistency)
- Spinach puree- 3/4 to 1 cup
- Salt- as per the taste
- Baking soda-a generous pinch
- Oil-to grease the plate
- Water- if required depending on the consistency.
- Oil-2 tsp
- Mustard seeds-1 tsp
- Cumin -1 tsp
- Bengal gram/urad dal-2 tsp
- Chopped green chillies-2-3
- Finely chopped ginger-1 inch
- Curry leaves-2 sprigs
For garnishing: (optional)
- Roasted cashews
- Grated carrots
- Heat oil in a pan- add mustard seeds, as it pops- add cumin seeds, curry leaves, Bengal gram/urad dal,ginger pieces and saute for few seconds.
- Add semolina/sooji and roast on a medium low flame for 3-4 minutes or until slightly golden. Allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile beat the yogurt, spinach puree, salt(add ¼-1/2cup of water if the yogurt consistency is too thick)
- To this yogurt mixture add roasted and cooled semolina/sooji mixture and mix well and set aside for 10-15 minutes (the consistency should be similar to idli /pancake batter).
For steaming idlis:
- After resting time add baking soda mix well- grease the idli plate place grated carrot/cashews and pour a ladle full of batter into the greased plate, steam cook for 8-10 minutes in a steamer.
- Serve hot with
- The proportion of yogurt and spinach puree can be personalised as per the consistency.
- For spinach puree-I blanched spinach in hot water for 4-5minutes and then pureed in the blender.
- For steaming idlis- cooker/steamer can be used- if using cooker make sure not to use the weight on.
Posted on July 28, 2015, in Breakfast, Indian, Main dish and tagged breakfast recipes, green idli, healthy indian breakfast recipes, indian breakfast recipes, instant rava idli recipe, pakka idli, spinach recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 28 Comments.