Spiced Ragi/Millet flour stuffed Paratha
After stuffed rice flour paratha many of my readers requested for a millet version so this paratha is similar to my rice flour stuffed paratha but I tried to spice the stuffing here.
Ragi is very healthy for any meal. This recipe can be made just with Ragi flour however it also comes out good by adding other flours like jowar flour and bajra flour.
Preparation time-20 minutes
Resting time-15-20 minutes
Cooking time-12-15 minutes
- Wheat flour-1 1/2cup
- Salt- 1/4tsp
- Oil – toasting parathas
- Black millet/Ragi flour-1cup
- Water-1 1/2cup (adjust as per the consistency)
- Finely chopped/minced onion-1medium
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Finely chopped green chillies-2
For the dough:
- In a mixing bowl add wheat flour, salt and add little water at a time until a soft dough is formed.
- Knead for 4-5 minutes, wraps with cling film/kitchen towel and let it set for 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare the stuffing:
- Ring the water to boil, once the water comes to boil add onion, salt, cumin seeds, green chillies mix well.
- Then add millet/ragi flour and let it come to a boil, now stir with a wooden spoon.
- Once the water and flour are well mixed, just let the dough hang out in the pot until its warm enough to handle with your hands.
- Now transfer to a large bowl and knead with your hands for about a minute.
- Divide into small golf ball sized piece of the dough, cover with a kitchen towel/muslin cloth and set aside.
- Now divide the equal portions out of the wheat dough.
- Take one portion of the wheat flour dough flatten it between your palms, dust some dry flour and roll into a small disc with rolling pin, place once portion of ragi stuffing and seal the edges and again give it a round ball shape.
- Dust some dry flour and roll it out into 5-6 inch diameter circle. (do not roll it too thin)
- Heat a non-stick pan and place the rolled paratha on a hot tava and cook over medium flame, brushing some oil.
- Cook both sides until golden brown.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling.
- Serve hot with choice of Chutney/Dips:
- Stuffing can be personalised by adding grated carrot or any veggies of choice.
- Make sure not to add more water while making the stuffing; If it’s too hard just sprinkle some water while kneading.
- You can also try with white rice flour stuffing