Carrot and Squash/Pumpkin – Kheer/pudding
Hello friends – hope you all well. I was away for a month on vacation to India. Here am back again and look forward to all your support and motivation.
Today I tried a new combination and this one will most definitely be made again very soon! I’m kind of impressed by this kheer, it’s so simple yet incredibly flavorful and comforting at the same time. I think it would be perfect to serve as a simple dessert.
Carrots include reduced cholesterol, prevention from heart attacks, warding off of certain cancers, improving vision, and reducing the signs of premature aging. Furthermore, carrots have the ability to increase the health of your skin, boost the immune system, improve digestion, increase cardiovascular health, detoxify the body, and boost oral health in a variety of ways. They also provide a well-rounded influx of vitamins and minerals.
Yields-4 to 5 servings
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-20 minutes
- Carrots-2 medium (peeled and roughly chopped)
- Pumpkin/squash-200 gms –peeled and diced (half of small sized pumpkin)
- Semi-skimmed milk-1 cup
- Milk powder- 1/4 cup (dissolved in 1/4cup milk)
- Stevia/fruit sugar-2-3 tbsp (adjust as per the sweet desired)
- Vanilla essence-2-3 tbsp
- Roasted nuts- (cashew, almonds, pistachio)
- Generous pinch of saffron
- Boil carrots, squash/pumpkin in enough water till they are completely cooked.
- If there is excess water drain and retain for further use and allow it to cool a bit.
- When the carrots, pumpkin are warm or cooled, blend then adding little water while blending (can use the water drained from cooked carrots and pumpkin)
- Bring the milk to boil in a heavy bottomed vessel, reduce the heat to medium high and continue to boil milk for another 4-5 minutes
- Now add carrot, pumpkin/squash puree, dissolved milk powder, Stevia/fruit sugar mixture and stir well until combined.
- Cook on a medium flame for 8-10 minutes. (adjust the consistency by adding additional milk)
- Add vanilla essence mix well and cook for another minutes or two.
- Garnish with nuts, saffron and serve hot or refrigerate for 3-4 hours and serve chilled.
- Fruit sugar/stevia can be replaced with brown sugar/white sugar or any sweetener of choice.
- Sweetness can be personalised as per the taste.
- Vanilla essence can be replaced with any flavours of choice.
Posted on September 13, 2015, in Indian and tagged carrot kheer, Carrot squash porridge, diabetic sweets recipes, festival healthy sweets, healthy kheer, healthy payasam, kheer phpto styling.., pumpkin/ squash kheer, sugar free sweets. Bookmark the permalink. 96 Comments.