Amla/gooseberry garlic instant pickles
Gooseberry/Amla pickles are instant and easy pickles. It is ultra easy preparation, fresh texture and fabulous flavor with a spicy kick have found a permanent place on my summer recipe roster. These quick and easy refrigerator pickles are an awesome way to enjoy with rice dishes and breads/parathas.
Though gooseberries look similar to grapes, they are actually berries filled with tiny seeds. Adding gooseberries to your diet can be a challenge because they are not readily available in many supermarkets, but finding ways to incorporate them into your diet can have many health benefits.
They are low in calories, fat- and cholesterol-free and a good source of essential nutrients including vitamin C, vitamin A, manganese and dietary fiber.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-10 minutes
- Garlic cloves-10-12
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Salt- to taste
For masala powder:
- Fennel seeds-1tsp
- Red chillies-5-6 (adjust as per the spice desired)
- Methi seeds/fenugreek seeds-1/4tsp
- Boil water in a saucepan and cook gooseberrys for 8-10 minutes with a pinch of salt.
- Once cooked drain water and slice the amla, discard the seeds and pat dry them on a kitchen towel/napkin.
Meanwhile prepare the spice powder:
- Dry roast fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, red chillies for a couple of minutes on a medium low flame, once it cools a bit ground it to a fine powder and set aside.
For the pickles:
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan and add mustard seeds as it crackles add garlic saue for a minutes.
- Add the cooked and pat dried gooseberry slices, salt, turmeric powder and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add ground spice powder and saute for 4-5 minutes and then turn off the flame.
- Cool to room temperature and store in a dry air tight container.
- Keep refrigerated for long shelf life.
- Adding fenugreek/methi seeds may make pickles a little bitter so feel free to skip if you don’t like it.
Posted on November 22, 2015, in Indian and tagged Amla garlic pickles, Amla recipes, diabetic pickles, garlic Instant pickles...., gooseberry pickles, homemade healthy pickles, indian healthy pickles, instant pickles, low oil pickles. Bookmark the permalink. 37 Comments.