Ridge gourd Soup
Protein, fiber-rich red lentils and hearty ridge gourd are transformed into a smooth fragrant soup; served with flatbread, it’s perfect as a simple main course
The ingredients are simple for this fuss free soup – ridge gourd, tomato, garlic, onion, and red lentils. Then you add green chillies for heat, if you like, and a little drizzle of , greek yogurt or coconutmilk for creaminess. Thats it!
You are more than welcome to leave this soup chunky and not blend it at all or blend part of it and leave a few chunks in there, but either way, this soup is pretty comforting and perfect for the cooler weather.
Preparation time-20 minutes
Cooking time-20 minutes
- Ridge gourd-2 cups (diced into chunks)
- Red lentils/ Masoor dal-1cup (rinsed and washed thoroughly)
- Diced onions-1 medium
- Diced tomatoes-2 medium
- Garlic cloves-3
- Green chilies-3-4
- Vegetable broth-3cups
- Ground cumin-1tsp
- Ground cinnamon-1/4tsp
- Lemon juice-1tbsp
- Salt- to taste
Chopped Fresh parsley
- In a pressure cooker combine red lentils, ridge gourd, onion, tomatoes, chillies, garlic , cinnamon, cumin powder, salt -add 2 cups of vegetable broth/water and cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid and then let it cool a bit.
- Take your lentil mixture and carefully pour into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return lentil mixture to saucepan and add rest of the broth, lemon juice and cook until thoroughly heated.
- When serving, top soup with yogurt and parsley
- Consistency and spices can be personalised as per the taste
- Lentils and veggies can be cooked in the saucepan alternatively than in the pressure cooker.
Posted on December 8, 2015, in Indian and tagged cream free soup, eerekaye recipes, fiber rich soup, Healthy soup, low fat soup, protein rich soup, red lentil soup, Ridge gourd recipes, Soup recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 37 Comments.