Spicy bread – Oats, Whole wheat and Basil
Basil is considered one of the healthiest herbs. It’s best when fresh, exuding a sweet, earthy aroma that indicates not only the promise of pleasantly pungent flavour, but an impressive list of nutrients. Vitamin K, essential for blood clotting, is one of them. Just two tablespoons of basil provides 29 percent of the daily recommended value.
This delicious light bread loaf is healthy as its packed with whole wheat, oats and fresh basil. This is so easy to make and freshly baked.
Makes: 800gms loaf
Baking time: 30-35mins
Preparation time: 20mins
• Whole wheat flour-2cups
• Ground oats-1cup
• Finely chopped onion-1num
• Warm milk-1cup / as required
• Warm water-1/4cup
• Olive oil-1tbsp
• Finely chopped coriander-3tbsp
• Basil leaves-10-12
• Green chilli-2-3
• Roasted peanuts-2tbsp
• Olive oil-1tbsp
• Mix honey, yeast,oil in warm water cover and let it sit for 10-15mins or until frothy.
For the spread:
• Coarsely crush/ blend chilli, garlic, roasted peanuts & basil.
• To this add salt & oil mix well and set aside.
• In a large bowl sift wheat flour, ground oats & salt mix well. To this add chopped onion, coriander combine together with the flour.
• Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture mix well and start adding warm milk little at a time and gradually mix to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
• Turn the dough out on to a lightly floured surface and knead vigorously for about 5mins until smooth.
• Put the dough into a clean bowl, cover with oiled cling film and leave somewhere warm for 1 ½ – 2hours or until the dough has doubled in size.
• Pre-heat the oven at 180deg, lightly grease and line loaf tin.
• Punch the air out of the dough and turn it out on to a lightly floured surface again and knead once more until smooth.
• Now roll the dough roughly to a circle and spread the basil mixture evenly on to the rolled dough and fold the dough horizontally and seal the edges with fork or just your hands.
• And place the seam side down in a greased loaf pan
• Rest for 15-20 mins at warm place.
• Brush the top with milk/butter and pop into oven at 30-35mins at 180deg c.
• You can mix the basil mixture to the dough the flour and make dough.
• You can bake this even using plain flour or combination of both half plain and half whole meal can also be done.
• And let it sit on the counter for 10mins or until frothy