Pepper squash (butternut) brown rice
Butternut squash is rich source of vitamin A which is heart healthy, good for once vision and skin.
It is also excellent source for vitamin C and other potent antioxidants. It is anti – inflammatory, high in fiber, potassium and vitamin B6. These nutrients can help stabilize blood sugar.
Though all varieties of squash are good nutrition choices, winter varieties tend to be more nutrient-dense.
So try this Rice with Butternut Squash warming dish is full of flavour from the tender butternut squash and combination of herbs. And to make it healthier I have used brown rice.
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
• Brown basmati rice-1cup
• Butternut/ winter squash-2cups (peeled and cut to 1/2inch cubes)
• Pepper-1 1/2tsp
• Cumin/ jeera-1tsp
• Shahi jeera/ black cumin-1tsp
• Whole garam masala- (clove-2, bay leaf-1, cardamom-1,)
• Cashew nuts-5-7num
• Salt-as per taste
• Curry leaves-few
• Coriander leaves- 1 spring
• Soak brown rice for at least a hour before cooking.
• Dry roast cumin and pepper in the pan till a nice aroma comes. Let it cool down
• Grind it coarse along with coriander leaves.
• Now heat oil in a pan add black cumin, curry leaves, cashew, garam masala whole, ground pepper-jeera powder and saute until the cashews are slightly golden .
• Then add chopped butternut, rice to pan
• Stir until thoroughly coated with the masala mixture.
• Add ~2 ½ cup of water hot water, salt and bring to a boil and then cover the lid and cook on a medium low flame for 20-25mins or until all the water is absorbed.
• Turn off the flame and leave the lid on for another 5mins and serve warm with any side dish of your choice.
• Shahi jeera is just for the flavour you can add the regular cumin seeds instead.
• Can use white regular rice instead of brown rice.
• You can also use any winter squash/ pumpkin to this recipe.