Rajma/kidney beans and oats Snack
This snacks is loaded with protein and fibre, it is a power packed healthy and yet delicious. It can be enjoyed for breakfast or as a snack to munch.
Oats and beans both are good sources of soluble fibre. Beans-Soluble fiber—the kind that absorbs water—is good stuff. Add it to your diet, and it will keep you regular, stabilize your blood sugar levels, and lower your cholesterol levels by preventing the absorption of artery-clogging lipids in your intestines. Plus, eating more soluble fibre is an excellent way to reduce blood-serum levels of LDL cholesterol
If you are not used to eating beans, add them into your diet gradually and drink plenty of water so the fibre can become soluble. If you eat too many too fast you can develop intestinal gas, so go slowly.
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Preparation time: 20-25 minutes
• Rajma/kidney beans-1 cup
• Instant oats-1 cup
• Finely chopped cucumber-1/2 cup
• Finely chopped capsicum-1/2 cup
• Finely chopped tomato-1/2 cup
• Coriander- Handful finely chopped fresh leaves
• chilli powder-2 tsp
• cumin powder-2 tsp
• black salt-2 tsp
• Chaat masala-2 tsp
• Khakra crushed -1 (Optional)
• lemon juice-1tbsp
• Soak kidney beans in water for 3-4 hrs and cook them in a cooker by adding little salt and enough water for 3 whistles. Let them cool down in a cooker and later remove it from cooker.
• In a non-stick pan dry roast oats on a medium flame for 3-4 mins and keep aside to cool.
• In a large bowl combine chopped cucumber, capsicum, tomato, roasted oats, cooked kidney beans and mix well.
• Then add the dry ingredients chilli powder, cumin powder, chaat masala, and black salt mix well. (add salt if required)
• Sprinkle coriander, lemon juice, top with crushed khakra and serve immediately.
• You can even cook Rajma in the microwave / in a vessel with water on a stove with closed lid.
• Do not overcook kidney beans as it goes mushy.
• You can even use tinned beans but take beans right out of the can, rinse them well to remove much of the sodium and use them.
Posted on June 24, 2014, in Indian, Starters and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Healthy chats, Healthy snacks, Oats chats, Oats snacks, Rajma and Oats snack. Bookmark the permalink. 14 Comments.