Baked – Yellow moong dal dahi/yogurt Vada
Traditionally dahi vadas are deep fried dumplings soaked in yogurt but for the healthier option choose baking , this can be served as a snack or chaat.
These are baked lentil dumplings dipped in yogurt and topped with spices. To make it low in calorie I have baked vadas instead of deep fry; Also used yellow moong dal instead of urad dal, which is packed with calcium and proteins. (Though I bake many dishes but to bake vadas the confidence came only after checking post from Vidya @ Traditionally Modern Food).
This appetizer can be served with dates -tamarind chutney or mint chutney.
Preparation time: 15mins
Baking time: 30mins
- Yellow moong dal-1/3cup
- Split chickpeas/chana dal-2tbsp
- Green chilli-2num
- Salt- as per tatse
- Fruit salt-2tsp
- Carom seeds/ajwain-1tsp
For masala dahi/yogurt:
- Low fat yogurt-11/2-2cups
- Salt- as per taste
- Chilli powder-1/2tsp
- Chat masala-1/2tsp
- Roasted cumin powder-1tsp
- Chopped coriander- a handful
- Wash and Soak moong dal over night, drain thoroughly.
- Combine moong dal, ginger, green chillies and blend in a mixer to a coarse paste adding 1-2tbsp of water if required.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl; add baking soda, Ajwain. Salt and mix well
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 deg c , grease lightly muffin trays and set aside.
- Pour a ladle full of batter to each and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the toothpick inserted comes out clear by turning half way. (mini muffin tray will do if its big one then just fill half way)
For masala yogurt/dahi:
- In a bowl beat yogurt, chilli powder, cumin powder, chat masala, salt, honey with few table spoon of water if required.
- Drop the baked vadas in the yogurt.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve immediately or it can be served chilled as well.
- You can deep fry if you don’t wish to bake.
- If you have green chutney, tamarind chutney handy go ahead and add it.
- You can use urad dal instead of moong and follow the same procedure.
Posted on July 13, 2014, in Indian, Starters and tagged Baked dal dahi vada, Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, healthy dahi vada, Low calorie dahi vada chats, Low calorie indian chats. Bookmark the permalink. 22 Comments.