Japanese/Chinese spring onion pancakes (paratha)
These pancakes are similar to kerala parathas but stuffed with spring onions. Scallion pancakes are one of a delicious dish of china, and the secret of making this pancakes flaky is using boiling water for dough, plain flour and coating the surface with sesame oil. But I made a variation by using wheat flour,olive oil but it tasted delicious. Using white/plain flour makes changes in texture though.
I could have made these with white flour but I really wanted keep the focus on healthy option, as you all know whole wheat flour is much healthier than processed white flour.
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 20mins
- Whole wheat flour/unbleached flour-2cups
- Salt- 1/4tsp
- Olive oil-2tsp
- Hot water-1cup
- Scallions/spring onions-1bunch
- Sesame seeds-for stuffing (optional)
- Olive oil/sesame oil- for brushing and roasting pancakes
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and salt and the make a well in the centre and add hot water , to fill the well and then start adding on sides little at a time, use a large spoon or rubber spatula to combine the ingredients into a soft dough.
- Turn out the dough onto the lightly floured surface and shape it into a ball, working with the floured hands, knead the dough until its smooth and springy about 2-3minutes.
- Once kneading is done transfer to the greased bowl, cover and rest for at least for half an hour.
- While the dough rests, finely chop the scallions and set them aside.
- Divide the dough to 6 equal portions.
- Now roll take one portion and roll into a thin circle about 5-6cm diameter. Spoon some olive oil onto the rolled dough and
- Spread it evenly over the pancake, scatter 2 generous tablespoon of chopped scallion and sprinkle some sesame seeds on top, leaving border.
- Roll the pancake into a log-beginning at one end, wind the log into a spiral as if shaping a cinnamon roll, then tuck the loose end underneath. Use your palm to gently press the dough into a disk. Dust the dough lightly with flour, then roll it into pancakes of 5-6inch in diameter.
- Heat the tava/skillet on medium high and grease some olive oil and when the skillet is hot enough lay the rolled pancakes gently on pan, it should sizzle but not burn-cook for 2minutes one side .
- Flip the pancake over with spatula and cook for an additional 2minutes on the other side/until golden brown.
- Transfer the pancake to a serving plate and serve with dipping sauce.
- If calorie is not a concern you can use white/plain flour instead of wheat/unbleached flour or even half white and half wheat flour can be used.
- You can replace olive oil with sesame oil/vegetable oil