Tomato vermicelli soup
Semiya/Vermicelli is commonly used for breakfast in various forms like Upma. Here there’s a delicious way to make them heartier. The base of the soup is mainly tomatoes but the addition of the vermicelli, carrot, onion just makes everything click together.
Tomato carrot soup is one of the most simplest and easy soup recipes. The soup has the sweetness of carrots and onion, along with the slight tanginess of tomatoes, garlic in the soup gives a slight sharpness with the earthy flavour of cumin.
Usually noodles are included in the soup but here replace noodles with the Vermicelli, it can be personalised as per the taste and preference.
This soup is kids friendly too and if making for kids then skip black pepper.
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 15mins
- Chopped Tomatoes-1cup
- Vermicelli – 50 gms
- Chopped onion-1num
- Chopped carrot-1num
- Vegetable stock/water-2cups
- Coconut milk-1/2cup
- Salt- as per taste
- Cumin powder-1tsp
- Crushed black pepper-for taste
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan, add garlic, onions, carrot and saute on a medium flame for 1 -2minutes .
- Add tomatoes and saute on a medium flame for 2-3minutes.
- Add vegetable stock/water mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2-3minutes while stirring in between.
- Turn off the flame and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled blend in the mixer/blender till smooth.
- Again pour back to the pan and add vermicelli, coconut milk, cumin powder,salt, pepper, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5-6minutes or until the vermicelli is cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with coconut milk.
- I used very fine brown rice vermicelli so it cooked very fast and was not visible, so you can use regular vermicelli/ noodles.
- If you love cream in your soup go ahead and add few tablespoon of cream.
- Feel free to add spices as per the taste.
Posted on July 20, 2014, in International, Soups, Salad and Wraps, Vegan and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, Dairy free soup recipes, drchdietfood, Healthy tomato soup recipe, Kids friendly recipe, Kids friendly vegetarian soup, Vegan recipes, Vegan soup recipes, Vermicelli soup. Bookmark the permalink. 38 Comments.