Stuffed bun with Chickpeas and Paneer
Stuffed bun is a spicy filling surrounded by a soft and golden crust. Here the crust is made using whole wheat flour, skimmed milk and milk powder. The filling is cooked and mashed chickpeas, grated paneer also known as Indian cottage cheese.
It can be enjoyed with a cup of hot coffee/tea
Preparation time: 15minutes
Baking time: 15-20minutes
Cooking time: 10minutes
Waiting time: 1 ½-2hours (fermenting dough)
For bun dough:
- Whole wheat flour-2cups
- Skimmed milk powder-1/4cup
- Olive oil-2tbsp +for brushing
- Warm milk-1/2cup
- Hot water (for about 110deg)-1/2cup or enough to form the dough
- Cooked chickpeas-1cup
- Grated paneer-100gms
- Chopped onion-1 medium
- Ginger garlic paste-2tsp
- Green chilli paste-2tsp
- Lemon juice-2tsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Chopped coriander- a handful
- Mash cooked chickpeas in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds as it splutters add onions, ginger-garlic paste, chilli paste and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add mashed chickpeas mix well and cook for a minute.
- Then add grated paneer, salt and saute for 1-2 minutes more.
- As it is heated through, turn of the flame and add lemon juice and chopped coriander. Mix well.
- Allow the stuffing to cool down.
For the dough:
- Combine 1/2cup hot water, honey, drizzle yeast and let it sit for 10-15 minutes/until frothy.
- In a mixing bowl add flour, salt, olive oil mix well, add in warm milk and yeast mixture gradually into the flour whilst kneading until you have soft but firm dough.
- Transfer the dough to the floured surface and knead for 5-7 minutes.
- Grease the bowl and transfer the dough into the bowl-wrap the dough with the cling film and allow it to rise for about 1 ½-2 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 deg c, line the baking tray and set aside.
- Once raised, punch down then knead it again for 2-3 minutes.
- Make into 6-8 balls, roll out each ball into a circle, place your mixture in the center, then ball it up and seal.
- Place the formed buns on the lined tray with seam underneath, cover and allow it to rise again for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes brush buns with milk and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Once baked dab a bit of butter on the buns and enjoy.
- Split the bun into 2 pieces when hot
- Spread with mint sauce on both pieces
- Top it with roasted peanuts
- Drizzle some lime juice and coriander
- Canned chickpeas can be used just rinse thoroughly to remove sodium before using.
- Spices can be varied as per the taste.
- Baking time may vary from oven to oven so keep an eye while baking and bake until the crusts are golden.
- Stuffing can be personlised
Posted on August 25, 2014, in Indian, Starters and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Savoury bun recipe, Savoury bun recipes, Stuffed bun recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 24 Comments.
That’s awesome Chitra, this is in my list feeling lazy to prepare it 😛 Yours has turned out super cool, how lovely they have bulged 🙂
Thanx a bunch. ..before my blogging just tried once with potatoes so tried now with some variation. …again this was my dad’s favourite so I love to have in his favourite combo-topped with roasted peanuts, coriander and squeeze of lime juice….
This sounds so interesting and like such a nice combination. Is this a dish that is standard in India, or is it your creation?
HD – It is usually stuffed with potatoes…I used chickpeas and Panner
Clever and looks absolutely delicious 🙂
Thanks Andy for your compliments
LikeLiked by 1 person
You are so welcome 🙂
You’re a versatile cook ❤
Thanks Charu for your continued encourgement
Awesome Chitra! Look at those golden colored buns.
Chitra! Send some over! Wow!!
You can come over Lori 🙂
Thanx Saranya. …
I am trying this Chitra:-) should I search for any specific yeast some say active I am zero in this so help me
So nice dear..dry yeast is what you can look for
wow, superb.. Should try these buns
Thanks Sri..wait to hear how it turned out for youraelf
yummy .. ooh Hot bun , stuffed with paneer and chickpeas .. yummyliscioussssssss now this has left me drooling
Thanks Bikramjit…after a break you are back
Looks Yum dear! 🙂
Thanx a bunch dear. …:)
Pingback: Bun Boat Pizza | Chitra's Healthy Kitchen