Pasta Kheer/pudding with nuts – Vegan
This is a very rich kheer recipe. which is simple. As a variation used mini pasta shells instead of rice or vermicelli. This recipe is Veganised by adding coconut milk.
A variety of roasted nuts added to recipe makes it nutty and crunchy in every bite.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
- Pasta-1/2cup (I used small pastas)
- Grated coconut-1/4cup
- Roasted mixed nuts- (pista-10, cashew-10, almonds-10, walnuts-10)
- Brown sugar/cane sugar-1/2cup (as per the sweet preferred)
- Cardamom powder-1/2tsp
- Low fat coconut milk-1 1/2cup
- Coconut water- 150 ml (I have used water from one fresh coconut)
- Combine coconut, brown sugar in the blender/food processor and pulse until sugar blends well with coconut and set aside.
- Cook pasta in the boiling water until 3/4done (about 4-5minutes) drain and set aside.
- In a thick bottom pan combine coconut water, coconut milk, mix well and bring it boil on a medium-high flame.
- Add 3/4th cooked pasta and cook in the coconut milk for 3-4minutes.
- Then add blended coconut-sugar mixture and continue to simmer for 8-10minutes/until it thickens little bit.
- Turn off the flame, add cardamom powder mix well.
- Top it with roasted-crushed nuts.
Serve hot/refrigerate and serve chill.
Serve them along with Puran Poli/Holige for an added taste
- Blending coconut/sugar helps sugar to blend well.
- Coconut quantity can be reduced by using roasted mixed nuts
- Coconut water can be skipped to reduce the thickness of Kheer