Corn meal-whole wheat tortillas (ZERO Oil)
Corn tortillas are made fresh, disk of unleavened bread made from masa harina (finely ground cornmeal)
Tortillas vary in size from about 6 to over 30 cm (2.4 to over 12 in), depending on the region of the country and the dish for which it is intended. In Mexico the tortillas are consumed all year round and are used to make dishes such as tacos, burritos, and enchiladas
Yields: 5-6 tortillas
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Waiting time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 15-18 minutes
- Fine Corn meal -3/4cup
- Whole wheat flour-1/4cup
- Water- 1/2cup (may vary depending on the flour)
- In a small bowl mix thoroughly wheat flour, corn meal, salt.
- Heat water to boiling pour over the cornmeal, wait a few minutes, until the cornmeal has absorbed the water and water has cooled to lukewarm.
- Mix well to form a dough, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board. (Thoroughly knead the dough, lightly sprinkling some flour is necessary in between to keep it from sticking.
- When it is smooth enough, form a ball and place in the bowl wrapped with damp muslin cloth and set aside for 20-30minutes.
- After resting period divide the dough into equal portions to form balls.
- Take one portion and keep the rest covered.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a 4-5inch circle and cook tortillas on a hot griddle until lightly browned both sides (not necessary to grease any oil).
Serve hot or warm
- Once cooked if not serving immediately wrap them in a towel until served.
- Plain flour can be used alternatively to wheat flour.
- For gluten free version replace wheat flour with corn meal completely and follow the same procedure.
Posted on September 3, 2014, in Indian, International, Main Course, Main dish, Salad/Wraps and tagged Wrap healthy recipes, Zero oil Tortillas. Bookmark the permalink. 17 Comments.
Love tortiilla’s, have never made them but I think I need to change that. These sound simple and look delicious.
Yes Suzanne..They are quick to make and serve hot to enjoy the best of it
Yum! Homemade must taste great!
It does when served hot and it is really fluffy and smooth….Thank you so much for your continued feedback and support Gretchen
Lots of possibilities too 🙂
Love tortilla!! I need to try it, have never tried them 🙂
Thanx Malar. ….would love to hear how this turned out for you… 🙂
Home made tortilla awesome:-) will try soon
Thanx dear, it’s a pleasure to hear the feedback. …:)..
Love this Chitra 🙂
Thanx dear Linda
I have been wanting to try making my own tortillas. I am tempted to get a press.
So nice to hear that Debbie…
Pingback: Baked Kale falafel in Jalapeno dressed wraps | Chitra's Healthy Kitchen
Pingback: Corn meal-whole wheat tortillas (ZERO Oil) | idahobluebird50
Pingback: Soya Bean Enchiladas | Chitra's Healthy Kitchen
Pingback: Baked – Corn Tortilla chips | Chitra's Healthy Kitchen