Pumpkin in spinach gravy
Here in this recipe have cooked Pumpkin is cooked in Spinach gravy. Spinach gravy is a blend of Spinach and Spices. So this dish is a blend of sweet and spices..
Spinach is low in fat and even lower in cholesterol, its high in protein and fiber. Spinach act as antioxidants to keep cholesterol from oxidising and protect your body from free radicals.
Pumpkin is one of the very low calorie vegetables.it is rich in dietary fiber. This is one of the vegetable recommended by dieticians in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs.
I served this with Chickpeas Amla rice (link)
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
• Baby spinach/normal spinach-2cups (tightly packed)
• Pumpkin-500gms (chopped into cubes)
• Salt-as per taste
• Red chilli powder-1/2tsp (optional)
• Coriander powder-1tsp
• Cashews- 5-6num
• Green chilli-2-3num
• Whole garam masala- (clove-2, cinnamon-1stick, aniseed-1/2)
• Shahi jeera/ cumin seeds-1/2tsp
• Blanch spinach leaves for 20-30sec in boiling water. Transfer immediately to a bowl of ice cold water and let it for 5minutes and drain.
• Similarly blanch tomatoes, peel the skin and chop roughly into medium chunks.
• Soak cashew in 1-2tbsp warm water/milk for 5mins
• In a dry pan saute onion, ginger, garlic, chilli, whole garam masala, jeera till onion is slightly translucent on a medium low flame (it may take about 4-5minuts). Let it cool down.
• Grind the dry roasted onion, ginger-garlic, garam masala, jeera, chilli, cashews, tomatoes and spinach to a fine paste and set aside.
• Heat oil in a nonstick pan add pumpkin and saute for 5-7minutes and then add salt, turmeric, chilli powder and let it simmer till the raw smell leaves.
• Then add the blended puree and let it simmer until the pumpkin is completely cooked and coated with the gravy (may be for about 10-12minutes)
• Transfer it to a bowl
• Just as a low calorie option tried to avoid oil while roasting, can use oil if you wish
• Instead of soaking cashews can dry roast it