Filo/Phyllo/Spring roll sheets on Tava
I have tried with both Wheat flour and plain flour and found that the difference is when sheet cools down post baking; The wheat flour sheets will become brittle compared sooner than plain flour once. You can also try doing 50:50 of plain and wheat flour.
The once made in home are definitely healthier than store bought one. The process of making is similar to crepes.
Yields: 12-15 sheets
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 35-40 minutes
- Wheat flour/plain flour-1 cup
- Corn starch-2-3 tbsp
- Salt-1/2 tsp
- Vegetable oil-1 tsp (mixed in 2-3 tbsp water)
- Sieve the corn starch, flour, salt into a small bowl and mix together.
- Add in water stirring constantly to make a smooth runny paste.
- In a small bowl combine 2-3 tbsp water with oil and keep aside.
- place a non-stick pan on the flame on the lowest heat as the pan should just be warm not hot at any point.
- Dip the paper towl in water-oil mixture and rub the pan all around.
- Using a pastry brush – spread/brush the runny paste over the warm pan, keep dipping and brushing quickly till you are sure every part within has been coated evenly thin layer.
- Leave for some seconds till you see the pastry film forming a solid film.
- Once the sheet starts leaving the pan, remove carefully and place on a plate and cover with a clean damp kitchen towel. (this prevents from drying out.
- Clean the pan with the paper towl and repeat the procedure till the whole abtter is used up.
- Cut the pastry wraps into perfect squares with a kitchen scissors into round or square sheets.
- These sheets are now ready to use in samosas/spring rolls.
- Store it in the ziplock cover until or when ready to use.
- I used whole wheat flour so it gave bit crunchy sheets after baking, for soft texture plain flour can be used.
- Batter should be of thin buttermilk consistency.
- 2-3 layers of brushing is required to pan so oil is spread evenly Or it can be spread using spoon by rotating the pan.
- Once the sheets are cooled down; Spread an even amount of oil or butter to pile the sheets one above the other. This will ensure the sheets won’t stick to each other
- If single sheet is too thin and breaking you can make double fold or use 2 sheets
- Size of the sheet can be adjusted as desired
Posted on October 26, 2014, in Appetizers, Indian, International, Starters and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, drchdietfood, Filo sheet recipe, Phyllo sheet recipes; How to make Filo sheet. Bookmark the permalink. 26 Comments.