Zucchini parsnip fritters – Vegan
Fritters are quick to make and endlessly flexible. This version uses garlic and coriander to flavour it. These fritters are shallow fried and indeed these are golden beauties whipped in no time and between their crispy exteriors, creamy interiors.
I served them with hot tomato chilli sauce (Recipe link click here)
Zucchini is packed with beneficial nutrients including Vitamins C and A, potassium, folate, and fiber. All contribute to a healthy heart by decreasing the risk of stroke, reducing high blood pressure, and lowering cholesterol. Get maximum benefits by eating either raw or cooked zucchini and feel free to eat the skin– it’s edible.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-20 minutes
- Grated zucchini-1cup (3medium)
- Grated parsnip-1/2cup (1large)
- Chickpea flour-1/3cup
- Corn starch-2tbsp
- Baking powder-1tsp
- Minced garlic-2cloves
- Chopped coriander-a handful
- Salt-to taste
- black pepper powder-1/2tsp
- oil- for toasting fritters
- Mix grated zucchini, parsnip with 1/2tsp of salt and place in a colander over the sink to drain.
- After 10minutes, transfer zucchini to the center of a kitchen towel, wrap around and squeeze out over the sink until all water is extracted.
- now combine chickpea flour, corn meal/corn starch, baking powder, salt, crushed black pepper, garlic in a bowl.
- Fold in squeezed zucchini, parsnip, coriander and mix until everything comes together. (sprinkle some water if desired)
- Make small or jumbo balls and gently flatten it between your palms.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet, grease some oil and place the flattened mixture 3-4 at a time or as per the size of the skillet (do not overcrowd your pan, you can work in 2-3batches)
- Cook for 2-3minutes or until the underside is golden and crispy and cook for 3 more minutes on the other side.
- Transfer fritters to a paper towel lined plate.
Serve hot with dipping sauce.
- Squeezing is important as the zucchini tends to contain mre moisture in it and so the fritters may break if not squeezed.
- Chickpeas flour can be replace with plain flour.