Fenugreek leaves stir fry rice
This is healthy and flavorful rice made with fresh fenugreek leaves and tossed in spices. This rice dish is perfect for light meal/ packed lunch.
Iron-rich fenugreek leaves are combined with tomatoes which are rich in vitamin c and brown rice is used for additional fiber touch which is beneficial for diabetic friendly.
Fenugreek or methi leaves are very rich in vitamins and minerals and they get easily absorbed by the body. Some major ingredients include calcium, potassium, phosphorus, iron and dietary fiber in its naturally occurring form as in other vegetables
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Brown rice-1 cup
- Chopped Fresh fenugreek/Methi leaves-2cups
- Chopped tomatoes-2num
- Chopped onion-1num
- Ginger- garlic paste-1tsp
- Bay leaf-1
- Red chilli powder-1tsp
- Cumin powder-1tsp
- Coriander powder-1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
To cook rice:
- Rinse and soak rice for 30 minutes before cooking. drain
- Boil enough water with pinch of salt; 1tsp oil in a sauce pan adds soaked and drained rice and cook till the rice is almost done (all dente). Drain completely and spread on a broad dish to separate grains.
- (tips-better to cook rice ahead and cool completely as hot rice tends to become mushy)
- Heat oil in a pan add the bay leaf, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and saute on a medium flame for 20-30seconds.
- Add onion, ginger-garlic paste mix and let it cook on a medium flame until onions turn light brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, salt and dry powders (chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric) and cook on a slow flame for 2-3 minutes or till tomatoes are cooked but not mushy.
- Then add chopped fenugreek leaves mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes and add cooked rice mix gently and simmer until heated through.
- Once the rice is coated well with the mixture and heated through turn off the flame.
Serve hot with:
- Spices can be altered as per taste.
- Any rice or Bulgur can be used