Bread Instant Mini Uttapam/Savoury Pancakes
Uttapam is essentially a fermented rice and lentil pancake made tasty by incorporating veggies.
In this recipe Instead of fermented dosa batter I used bread which can be used instantly without any fermentation. This is a very simple recipe. Beat the pancake/uttapam batter then let the batter rest while you chop up the veggies. These are served with a sauce/dips and kids friends too.
Yields – 8 to 10 mini pancakes
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-15-20 minutes
- Whole wheat bread-4 slices
- Thick yogurt/curd-1/2 cup
- Fine semolina-1/2 cup
- Rice flour-1/4 cup
- Water- ½ cup (or as required for blending the batter)
- Ginger-1/2 inch
- Green chillies-2
- Curry leaves- 8-10
- Salt- to taste
- Oil- for toasting
- Finely chopped onion-1/2cup
- Finely chopped bell peppers – 1/2cup (I used Yellow and Red)
- Grated carrots-1medium
- Chopped fresh coriander- a handful
- Chat masala-1/2tsp (optional)
- Chilli powder-1/2tsp (optional)
For the batter:
- Take out the bread crusts and break it into small pieces.
- Combine bread pieces, yogurt, semolina, rice flour, green chillies, ginger , curry leaves and pulse to a smooth batter by adding little water at a time(make sure not to add more water as we need a thick batter for the uttapam)
- Let the batter sit for 10 – 15 minutes
- In a mixing bowl combine onion, bell peppers, carrot, tomato, chat masala, chilli powder, coriander mix well and set aside.
For the uttapams:
- Adjust the batter consistency by adding water if it’s too thick, add salt mix well.
- Heat a non-stick pan/tawa on medium heat- grease with some oil and pour a ladle full of batter and spread lightly to a pancake consistency, sprinkle some chopped veggies, drizzle some oil over the edges, cover it with a lid and cook over a medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip and let it cook on the other side until cooked.
- Repeat the same with rest of the batter and veggies.
Serve hot with a unique flavoured Almond curry leaves Chutney.
- For topping the combination of veggies can be personalised as per the taste.
- Can substitute whole wheat bread to white bread if desired.
- The batter should be of medium consistency, it should not be too runny or thick
- If pancakes are not turning as expected feel free to add additional Semolina OR Rice flour