Mango and Red Lentils – Stew/Sambar/Curry
Red lentils cooked in a very simple way with very limited spices. It is a staple food in India and main source of protein. Mango is added as a variation to this Stew adds a tangy taste and makes this a unique recipe.
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Green unripe mango-2 medium ( peel and chop to cubes)
- Masoor dal -1/2cup
- Chopped Onions-1num
- Chopped tomatoes-1big/2small
- Chopped Green chillies-3-4
- Crushed garlic-1tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
- Salt-as per taste
- Mustard seeds-1/2tsp
- Urad dal-1tsp
- Curry leaves-few
- Pressure cook dal for 2-3 whistles, mash and keep aside
- Heat oil in the pan add mustard seeds as it splutters add cumin seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, onions, chopped mangoes and fry in medium flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and sprinkle some water and cook until the mangoes are cooked (approx. 10-12 mins)
- Then add cooked dal and mix well. Adjust water depending on the consistency.
- Bring to boil and garnish with coriander leaves.
Some serving suggestions:
- Toor dal or Channa dal or any lentils can be used in place of Red lentils
- This dal is very mild so perfect for kids as well