Black channa with dill leaves rice
This recipe is my mom’s favorite. Thank you mom for continued support, good wishes and blessings.
Black chana with dill leaves is a perfect one pot meal. This recipe I used sprouted black chickpeas, using dill leaves is a typical Indian style.
Chickpea/garbanzo bean are healthy addition to any diet as they are naturally low in fat, high in fiber and rich in vitamins and minerals.
Dill has been used as a herb in most of the salad dressings/pickles. They help in good digestion, relief from insomnia, hiccups, diarrhea, dysentery, respiratory disorders, cancer etc. it is also good for oral care.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25-30 minutes
Soaking time: 6 – 8 hours
- Brown Rice -1 cup
- Water-2 cup
- Black chana-1/2 cup
- Chopped onion-1 num
- Chopped capsicum-1 num
- Washed and chopped dill leaves-1 bunch
- Salt-as per taste
- Mustard -1tsp
- Curry leaves-5-6
For masala grinding:
- Desiccated coconut- 1/2cup
- Green chilli-3-4
- Pepper corns-5-6
- Fennel seeds-1tsp
- Chopped ginger-1tsp
- Coriander- few springs
- Chopped coriander- a handful
- Wash and soak black channa overnight; drain and set aside.
- Throw all the ingredients mentioned under grinding table to a blender/mixer and blend it to coarse paste by adding some water if required.
- Now heat oil in a cooker pan add mustard seeds, curry leaves as it splutters add onion and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add capsicum, chopped dill and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add drained black channa, ground masala paste and fry for few minutes.
- Add measure water and let it come to boil and add salt as required and add broken wheat mix well cover the lid and pressure cook for 4-5 whistels.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid
- Garnish with coriander
- Serve hot with yogurt/raita:
- Canned chickpeas can also be used.
- You can use sprouted chana/ any pulses of your choice.
- You can replace broken wheat with rice and follow the same procedure.
Posted on June 16, 2015, in Indian, Main dish and tagged Black chana rice recipes, broken rice recipe, Chitras healthy kitchen, dill leaves beans rice, drchdietfood, Healthy rice recipes, kadale chitranna, protein rich breakfast ideas.. Bookmark the permalink. 43 Comments.