Amla Rajma pulao
This no-fuss red kidney beans, amla/gooseberry and brown rice is one of the most convenient meal recipes of all times. Super easy, simple and extremely nutritious and this Rice Pilaf featuring – authentic spices with the goodness of amla/gooseberry and bean.
This recipe is full of protein and fiber, two healthy nutrition components.
With their deep red color, cooked red kidney beans can liven up a wide range of meals including salads, soups and stews. Packed with protein, soluble (and insoluble) fiber, folate (vitamin B9), magnesium, potassium and a number of other health promoting nutrients, red kidney beans (haricots rouges, red beans, in French) are a true superfood.
The health benefits of Indian Gooseberry, also known as Amla, can be partially attributed to its high vitamin-C content. Amla enhances food absorption, balances stomach acid, fortifies the liver, nourishes the brain and mental functioning, supports the heart, strengthens the lungs, regulates elimination of free radicals, enhances fertility, helps the urinary system, increases skin health, promotes healthier hair, acts as a body coolant, flushes out toxins, increases vitality, strengthens eyes, improves muscle tone and, acts as an antioxidant.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Soaking time- 5-6hours/overnight (if using dry beans)
Cooking time-30 minutes
- Rice-1 1/2cup (I used red rice)
- Red kidney beans/rajma-1cup
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Bay leaf-1
- Salt- to taste
- Green chillies-3-4
- Chopped ginger-1/2inch
- Chopped garlic -2-3cloves
- Cloves- 3
- Cinnamon stick-1 “
- Fennel seeds-1tsp
- Dessicated coconut-1/4cup
- Chopped coriander
- Wash and soak red kidney beans/rajma for 5-6hours /overnight, once soaked drain, rinse again and set aside. (if using canned skip this set just rinse thoroughly)
- Wash amla, grate it using grater, discard the seeds and set aside.
- Make a course paste out of ingredients mentioned under ‘to grind’ by adding little water.
- Rinse and soak the rice for 30 minutes, drain and set aside.
- For pulao/rice:
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and add bay leaf, grated amla and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add in onion and fry till soft and add in soaked and drained rajma/kidney beans. This one was another easy recipe with few ingredients that it is perfect for any weeknight dinner.
- Add in ground masala paste and saute for 2-3 minutes/until the raw smell disappears.
- Add soaked and drained rice fry for sometime, add salt mix well and then add 3-3 1/2cup of water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- (if using canned chickpeas add in once the cooker release the steam and simmer for 2-3minutes until the chicpeas blends in and heated through)
Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with chopped coriander.