Millet/Raagi malt powder
With ragi malt, you can make a glass full of healthy drink. It can keep you energized. Drink ragi malt at any time of the day. Ragi malt is said to work as a body coolant.
Ragi malt powder can be made ahead and stored in a air tight container for later use.
Health benefits of Millet/ragi:
Benefits of malt:
Malting characteristics of finger millet are superior to other millets. On malting the vitamin-C is elaborated, phosphorus availability is increased, digestion is easier and amino acids are synthesized. In south India, the malted ragi flour is extensively used in preparation of weaning foods, instant mixes and beverages.
Preparation time-5 minutes
Roasting time-10 minutes
- Ragi flour/millet flour-1cup
- Cashew nuts-6-8
- Stevia/fruit sugar-1tbsp
For malt drink: (serves-1)
- Ragi malt powder-1-2tbsp(adjust as per thickness preferred)
- Any Milk of choice-1cup
- Saffron strands-a generous pinch (soaked in 1-2tbsp of warm milk)
- Dry roast ragi flour for few seconds on a medium low flame or until the raw flavour goes off. Allow it to cool a bit.
- Now combine all nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachio), cardamom in a blender and ground to fine powder.
- Add roasted ragi/millet flour, fruit sugar and wizz once to combine well with ground nuts.
For the malt:
- Combine water and milk in a heavy bottom saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Meanwhile in a small cup, mix ragi malt powder in 2-3 tbsp of milk to make sure there are no any lumps.
- When the milk comes to boil, reduce the heat to low and stir in the raagi malt mixture and continue stirring continuously to avoid burning.
- Let it boil for 3-4minutes- as it slightly thickens turn off the flame.
- Stir in saffron –milk mixture and serve hot or cold.
- (Malt may tend to get thicker as it cools down if so add some milk before serving)
- Raagi malt powder can be stored in an air tight container for upto a week or two or store in a refrigerator upto a month
- Sweetness can be adjusted as desired.
- Fruit sugar/stevia can be substituted with sugar candy/jaggery or any sweetener of choice.
- Combination of nuts can be personalised.
Posted on October 8, 2015, in Indian and tagged anytime drink, breakfast drinks., coolant drink, food photography, healthy malt, millet recipes, Ragi/ millet drink recipes, traditional drinks. Bookmark the permalink. 38 Comments.