Coated idli chaat
Chaats!!! oooo eating a plate of spicy chaat is the best thing to do in the evening. Chaat is one of the most interesting recipes in Indian cooking and it can be personalized as per the taste.
The khatta meetha idli chaat recipe has the sweet and sour kick in it which makes it a perfect treat for this freezing weather. The tamarind chutney and mint chutney adds a completely different flavour to this amazing chaat recipe and then the tangy taste of lemon juice just adds a little more taste to the dish.
Enjoy this mouth watering chaat as a healthy evening snacks
Yields – 2 servings
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 8-10 minutes
For chaat assembling- 5 minutes
Brown and Red rice Idli- 8-9 (Make at home Recipe link)
- Corn starch-2-3tbsp
- Gram flour-2tbsp (can substitute with plain flour)
- Black salt/table salt- a generous pinch
- Chilli powder-1/2tsp
- Amchoor/dry mango powder-1/2tsp
- oil- for shallow frying idlis.
- Finely chopped onion-1small
- Finely chopped tomato-1small
- Mint chutney-1-2tbsp (link)
- Tamarind chutney-1-2tbsp (link)
- Chilli powder- a generous pinch
- Chaat masala-a generous pinch
- Black salt- a generous pinch
- Sev/fried thin noodles-as needed (optional)
- Lemon juice-few drops
- Chopped cilantro/coariander
- Cut idlis into bite sized chunks.
- Combine corn starch, gram flour, black salt, chilli powder, amchoor powder , sprinkle some water to form a thick paste and now coat the idlis with the batter.
- Allow it to marinade or sit on the counter for 5-10minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and arrange the marinated /coated idli chunks and toast on a medium flame flipping all around until they are golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer the coated idli onto the plate and this can be enjoyed as a snack as is with some ketchup or mint chutney.
For assembling chaats:
- Arrange the coated and fried idlis on a plate, sprinkle around with some onions, tomatoes.
- Top it with some green/Mint chutney and Tamarind chutney.
- Sprinkle some chilli powder, chaat masala, balck salt.
- Drizzle some lemon juice and sev.
- Garnish with coriander.
Here the links for making Idli, Green and Tamrind Chutney.
Posted on February 5, 2016, in Indian and tagged chaat recipes, Healthy starters, Idli street food, leftover idli recipes, savory Idli starter recipes, stove top coated idli. Bookmark the permalink. 59 Comments.