Doodhi/Lauki/sorekayi/bottle gourd – Saagu
I steam cooked the chopped zucchini with French beans until tender and crunchy – mashed a few cooked veggies and smothered it in a delicious curry sauce made with spices.
This Doodhi/bottle gourd sagu/curry recipe was one meal I was pretty excited about. I wanted something hot and spicy for lunch and all I had in the fridge, vegetable wise, was some limpy looking Bottle gourd.
This sauce is legendary, by the way – I used it for this incredible set dosa recipe a few weeks ago. It was just a fabulous/delicious combo, it can work as a base for any curry you can think of.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-20 minutes
- bottle gourd-1medium (washed and diced ) (I retained the skin of the gourd but it can be peeled if desired)
- French beans-chopped-1/2cup
- Frozen peas-1/4cup
- Diced bell peppers/capsicum-1num
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Lemon/lime juice- to taste
For the sagu masala:
- Cinnamon stick-1
- Coriander seeds-1tbsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Pepper corns-6-8
- dessicated coconut-1/4cup
- roasted channa dal/dahlia-2tbsp
- green chillies-3-4
- fresh mint leaves-1/4cup
- fresh coriander leaves-2-3sprigs
- Chopped fresh coriander
- Steam cook bottle gourd and French beans until tender- (approx~8-10minutes) and set aside
For sagu masala:
- Meanwhile prepare the masala for sagu.
- Heat oil in a saucepan/kadai add green chillies, cinnamon, cloves, pepper corns,cumin seeds, coriander seeds and fry until fragrant/2-3minutes on a medium low flame. Once fried allow it to cool.
- Now grind the fried ingredients with coconut, mint, coriander, roasted dahlia to coarse paste by adding some water and set aside.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan/kadai add mustard seeds as it crackles , add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add bell peppers/capsicum, peas and fry for 4-5minutes.
- Add ground sagu masala and cook until the mixture leaves oil/thickens slightly and then add steamed bottle gourd, beans, salt, water ( I used the stock from the steamed bottle gourd, beans) mix well, cover and let it cook for 8-10minutes, stirring ocassionally.
- Once the curry/sagu attains the desired consistency and turn off the flame.
- Stir in lemon/lime juice ,garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with
- Fresh coconut can be used alternatively to desiccated coconut
- Combination of vegetables can be personalised as per the taste
- I retained the skin of the bottle gourd – feel free to peel and chop it before steaming.
- Adjust the consistency of sagu by adding extra water/vegetable stock .
- You can easily substitute pumpkin/squash or any of your favourite veggies. The “curry” part of this recipe is flexible. Use your favorite curry powder, garam masala, or any spice mix.
Posted on February 1, 2016, in Indian and tagged diabetic curry recipes, doodhi recipes, healthy accompaniment recipes, healthy sagu recipes, lauki recipes, soorekaye kootu. Bookmark the permalink. 46 Comments.