This is a delicious vegan curry packed with nutrition, protein and surprisingly tasty. Here in this curry I used basic blend of turmeric, cumin, cinnamon, fenugreek, cloves, bay leaves and coriander as a seasoning. Adding turmeric was all it took to turn the dish into a bright yellow curry and this is mearly similar to the Thai currys. I used coconut milk for the creaminess but feel free to use cream/any milk of choice if desired.
Chickpeas are High in fiber and protein. You get a good dose of healthy fats, a bit of iron and calcium, and if you cook your own dried beans, it’s low sodium as well! But if using canned thorough rinsing would be helpful to reduce the sodium content.
Yields: 3-4 servings
Preparation time-30 minutes
Cooking time-30 minutes
- Tofu-1block (250gms)
- Garbanzo beans/chickpeas-1cup
- Fenugreek seeds-1/2tsp
- Bay leaf-1
- Cinnamon-1 inch stick
- Low-fat Coconut milk-1can
- Salt- to taste
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped tomatoes-2medium
- Red chillies-3
- Chopped ginger-1/2inch
- Chopped garlic-2cloves
- Coriander seeds-1tsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Black pepper corns-5
- Drain water completely from tofu squeeze and place on the kitchen towel/ tissue wrap and place some heavy weight for 10-15 minutes or until moisture completely evaporates. One drained cut into cubes or desired shape.
- Heat a skillet/pan grease some oil and toast tofu cubes on both side until golden brown, transfer on to the palte and set aside.
- Wash and rinse thoroughly chickpeas and soak with 3cups of water overnight.
- After soaking time place chickpeas with water in the cooker and pressure cook for 4-5whistles and allow the steam to evaporate before opening the lid.
- Once steam is released open the lid drain and retain the stock(it can be used in this curry if required or can be used in any soup)
- Blanch tomatoes in and peel the skin.
- Dry roast cumin, coriander seeds, pepper corns, red chillies for 2-3 minutes on a medium high flame and allow it to cool
- Combine blanched and peeled tomatoes, roasted cumin seeds, coriander seeds, pepper corns, red chillies and ginger, garlic, onion in a blender and ground to smooth and set aside.
- Heat oil in the pan add in cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf, fenugreek seeds and saute for a minutes/until the spices are fragrant.
- Now add ground puree, turmeric, salt and cook on a medium low flame until slightly thickens.
- Then add coconut milk and bring it to boil, add toasted tofu, cooked chickpeas and add stock if required as per the consistency and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until thickens a little.
- Turn off the flame garnish with coriander
- Serve hot with
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste
- Bell peppers/peas can be included as a variation.
- Alternatively canned chickpeas can be used.
Posted on February 22, 2016, in Indian, Vegan and tagged channa gravy recipes, chickpeas curry recipes, chole recipes, Indian Vegan recipes, tofu channa masala, tofu indian curry recipes, vegan indian curry recipes., Vegan Indian dish, Vegan indian recipes, Vegan recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 45 Comments.