Vegan DIY custard: (Sugar free)
Custard- it’s nice to enjoy a slightly sweet dessert after a meal. However, when you can make it dairy and gluten free, and combine the flavour of coconut, you have a delicious and creamy creation the whole family will crave.
This was rich and tasty, yet it did not feel greasy or heavy at all. And, incredibly, it was vegan!
Yields: 2 cup
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- Coconut milk-1tin (200ml)
- Corn flour/corn starch- 2tbsp
- Vanilla essence-2tsp
- Stevia-3-4tbsp (adjust as per the sweet preferred)
- Turmeric- a generous pinch
- Warm the coconut milk on a medium low flame without bringing it to the boil.
- Thoroughly blend the sugar with the cornflour and then gradually add the warm milk, taking particular care in the initial phase to dissolve any lumps.
- Then add the vanilla essence and the turmeric.
- Bring the eggless custard to the boil, continuing to stir all the time; cook for a further 3 minutes and eliminate the vanilla pod.
- Now allow the custard to cool down completely before serving it on to the dessert
- Once cold, cover the custard with cling film, in direct contact with the surface, and place in the refrigerator for at least 30’ before use.
Make this a Fresh fruit Pudding/Dessert using Biscuit base:
- If your custard forms lumps just whisk using a hand blender until smooth.
- You can use almond milk or regular milk for variation.
- You can add dairy free butter/regular butter for light and fluffy consistency
- Stevia can be replaced with brown sugar or any sweetener of choice.
- Adding cream would make this custard thick equivalent to store bought one
- Cooking for longer time whisking continuously is another way to make custard thicker.
Posted on March 18, 2016, in Dessert, Indian, International, Sweets, Vegan and tagged Chitras healthy kitchen, coconut milk custard recipe, drchdietfood, fruit custard recipe, healthy custard recipe, home made custard, stevia recipes, vanilla coconut flavored custard, Vegan Custard, Vegan recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 40 Comments.