Baked Puris and Peas Masala – Masala Puri Chat
Masala puri is one of the most popular Indian street chaat/snacks. This can be easily prepared at home and make it healthier by using baking the Puris. The recipe covers procedure for making the Puris including the peas masala along with serving sugestions.
The process of making Masala Puri is a 2 step process.
Step1 : Making Puris
Step2: Making Peas Masala
Yields: 30 puris
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 10 – 12 minutes
- Whole wheat flour- ¾ cup
- Olive oil butter- 2-3 tbsp
- Carom seeds-1 tsp
- Chilli powder-1/2 tsp
- Salt-1/4 tsp
- Baking soda- pinch
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, carom seeds, chilli powder mix well and add melted olive oil butter and mix to form crumbs.
- Then add little water at a time until the stiff dough is formed. Cover and set aside for 20-30 minutes.
- After resting time knead the dough and make a medium sized ball from the dough and roll it thin into a large circle
- With the 2 inch circle cookie cutter cut out the discs from the rolled dough. (or you can even make small equal sized dough balls and roll individually)
- Repeat until all the dough is rolled and cut with cutter
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 deg c (fan assisted), grease and line the baking tray.
- Place in on a lined baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes ,flipping half way.
- Once done cool and store in an airtight container and use as required.
- Feel free to replace plain flour in place of wheat flour
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Baked puri – 30
- Yellow Mung dal-1/3cup
- Finely chopped onion-1/4cup
- Finely chopped tomato-1/4cup
- Salt- as per taste
- Dates Tamrind paste
- Mint Chutney
- Chilli sauce (Optional)
- Red chilli powder-to sprinkle
- Chaat masala- to sprinkle
- Masala Sev– to sprinkle
- Chopped Coriander – For Garnish
- Lemon Juice – As per taste
- Chopped onion-1num
- Green chillies-3num
- Mint leaves- a handful
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Soak peas overnight and drain
- Cook yellow mung beans and peas in a pressure cooker with enough for 3-4 whistles. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- As the steam escapes open the lid, mash peas, dal using mashed and set aside.
- Combine the ingredients mentioned under grinding table in a processer/ blender and blend it to fine paste and set aside.
- Heat oil in the non-stick pan adds ground paste and cook on low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Then add mashed peas-mung dal, salt and give it a stir.
- Simmer and allow it to boil and thicken to the desired consistency. The gravy should not be too thick or too thin.
- Turn off the flame and start serving.
- In a serving plate take 6-8 puris and crush them, add peas masala.
- Add Dates Tamrind paste, Mint Chutney and Chilli sauce
- Add onions, Tomato, Drizzle some chilli powder, chaat masala, lemon juice
- Finally garnish with coriander and Masala Sev
- Serving can be done as per the taste
- Chickpeas can be used in place of peas