Quinoa red kidney beans Patties
I combined my beans with powdered oats and quinoa for the basic patty mixture. Added in sautéed bell peppers, carrots and onions for a veggie boost, and then served with salads and buns as a burger.
Red beans are packed with protein and fiber along with several essential vitamins and minerals. They’re also loaded with antioxidants, which help prevent chronic diseases.
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wa) is a grain-like crop with many unique qualities and health benefits such as a very high protein content (about twice that of regular cereal grains), which makes it a great source of protein for vegetarians. It is also a good source of dietary fiber and several vitamins and minerals. And it’s gluten-free which makes it a nice option for people who are gluten-intolerant.
Yields – 6 to 8
Preparation time- 20 minutes (including the cooking time of quinoa)
Cooking time- 8-10 minutes per patty/per batch
- Quinoa-1/2cup (rinsed and drained)
- Powdered oats-1/4cup
- Flax meal – 1tbsp
- Chopped onion-1mediumn
- Chopped bell peppers-1medium
- Grated carrot-1/2cup
- Cooked Red kidney beans-1cup ( if using canned drain and rinse thoroughly)
- Chilli powder/paprika-1tsp
- Salt, ground black pepper-to taste
- Lemon juice-1tbsp or to taste
- Olive oil- 2tsp + for greasing
- Leafy green
- Sliced Red onion
- Sliced tomato
- Burger buns
To cook quinoa:
- Mix flax meal with 3-4 tablespoon of water and set aside.
- In a medium pot, bring water to boil, add quinoa, cover reduce heat and simmer for 15-18 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked.
- While quinoa is cooking, heat oil In the other pan/skillet add onion, garlic paste, bell peppers and saute for 2-3 minutes (continue to cook some more if you like your veggies to be soft)
- Stir in salt, chilli powder/paprika, carrot, take off from the heat and allow it to cool a bit.
- Now mash your beans, I mashed ¾ of beans leaving a quarter of the batch whole.
- Once quinoa is ready, add the quinoa to the beans along with sauted onion, bell pepper, carrots, crushed black pepper, mashed beans and lemon juice mix well.
- Add in powdered oats, flax meal mixture and mix well.
- Now divide the mixture to equal portions of 6-8 (depending on how big you like your patty)
- Take each section and pack tightly shape to a ball and flatten with your palms.
- Heat a large skillet, grease with oil over medium heat cook patties ( 2-3 at a time depending on the size of your patty) and cook for about 4-5minutes each side or till they are golden brown in color.
- Warm the burger buns/rolls.
- Slater with your choice of spread or cheese layer the patties and the onions, lettuce and tomatoes as per your preference.
- Serve with ketchup, chips or any dips of choice.
You can use either of the spreads for Burger:
- Vegetables can be personalised by including corn, zucchini or any vegetables of choice.
- Make sure the cooked bean is drained completely before adding to the patty mixture.