Dal/Lentils tomato dip
This dip is a creamy version of dal. This Lentil Dip is simple in its ingredients but complex in its flavour because of the wonderful combo and the variety of spices used.
This dip is naturally gluten free and vegan, but that I know everyone will enjoy, regardless of their dietary preferences. This dip is really filling.
Preparation time-5 minutes
Soaking time-2-3 hours
Cooking time-20-25 minutes
- Yellow moong dal-1cup
- Diced tomatoes– 4
- Diced onion-1medium
- Red chillies-3
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Chopped garlic-3 cloves
- Curry leaves-8-10
- Wash and drain lentils/dal several times until the water runs clear.
- Place 2 cups of water and lentils in a big pan and bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and continue to cook for 10-15 minutes or until lentils are just cooked (make sure the lentils are not mushy)
- Meanwhile heat oil in a pan add onions, cumin seeds, red chillies ,tomatoes and saute until onions are translucent and tomatoes are soft. Turn off the flame and allow it to cool.
- Now once the lentils are cooked drain thoroughly.
- Combine cooked lentils/dal, sauted tomato, onion mixture in a blender/food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Heat oil in a small sauce pan, add mustard seeds as it cracks, add garlic, curry leaves- saute for few seconds.
- Pour the tempering over the dip mix well
- Serve with choice of Roti/Parathas
- I soaked moong dal/lentils for 2-3 hours prior cooking as it helps lentils to cook faster.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.
- Moong dal can be substituted with Red lentils.
Posted on May 22, 2015, in Dips, Indian and tagged dal accompaniment, easy dal dip, gluten free dip, indian dal dip, tomato dal dip, vegan lentil dip, yellow lentil dip, Yellow moong dip. Bookmark the permalink. 21 Comments.