Veg Biryani – Brown rice with Capsicum and peas (Baked OR Cooked)
A healthy rice option is brown rice, which has more fibre than white rice. This flavorful biryani recipe is with capsicum, peas and fresh ground spices mixed with rice.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
• Brown basmati rice – 1 1/2cup (soaked and drained)
• Clove -1
• Cardamom -1
• Bay leaf -1
• Salt – to taste
• Oil -2tsp
For biryani gravy:
• Chopped onion -1num
• Chopped capsicum -2num
• Tomato puree -2 tomatoes pureed in a blender
• Frozen/fresh peas -1cup
• Yogurt -1/2cup
• Chilli pwder -1tsp
• Turmeric -1/4tsp
• Ginger garlic paste -2tsp
• Green chilli -2num
• Salt -as per taste
• Chopped mint -2tbsp
• Chopped coriander -2tbsp
• Oil -1tbsp
For biryani powder:
• Red chilli -6 to 7num
• Coriander seeds -1tbsp
• Clove -3num
• Cinnamon -1inch
• Aniseed flower – 1
• Roasted cashew/roasted almonds – 3tbsp
• Edible saffron soaked in 1-2tbsp of milk/water
• In a deep non-stick pan combine 4-5cups of water, cardamom, clove, salt, oil and bring it to boil.
• Add soaked and drained rice and cook on a medium flame for 18-20min or till the rice is almost cooked with the lid on.
• Strain the rice using strainer and keep aside.
• Dry roast the masala ingredients in the pan for 4-5 minutes and let it cool down.
• Throw the roasted masala ingredients into the mixer and ground it to the fine powder and set aside.
For biryani gravy:
• Heat oil in the non-stick pan add bay leaf, add onions and saute on a medium flame for 2-3mins /till the onions are translucent.
• Add ginger-garlic paste, slit green chillies, tomato puree and saute for few seconds, then add capsicum; peas mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5-8 minutes.
• Moving the pan away from the heat Add yogurt and mix well –this prevents the yogurt from curdling.
• Return the pan to the stove, turn heat to low ,Add chilli powder, turmeric, ground masala powder, salt and saute and cook for 8-10 minutes or till the capsicum and peas are almost cooked.
• If the gravy is thick add 1/2 cup of water and simmer another 3-5 minutes.
• Now the biryani layer can be done.
• Layering the biryani and can cook on the stove top or in the oven:
• Lightly grease a large non-stick pan/baking dish and layer the with half of the cooked rice ,half cilantro, mint , all biryani gravy, then remaining half rice, saffron dissolved in milk, remaining cilantro ,mint and roasted nuts and after layering
• To cook on the stove top place the sauce pan/non- stick pan and cook on a slow flame for 15-18mins
• Place the layered baking dish in the oven and bake in the pre-heated for 15-20 minutes at 200deg c (Fan assisted).
Serve hot with any raita/ side dish.
• The biryani gravy will be spicy by itself but when you mix it with rice it balances
Posted on July 15, 2015, in Indian, Main dish and tagged Baked Veg Biryani, biryani styling, biryani with home made spices, Brown rice Veg Biryani, capsicum rice, drchdietfood, Indian veg recipe, Indianreceipe, over cooked biryani., stove top biryani, Veg Biryani. Bookmark the permalink. 25 Comments.