Amla and Chickpeas – Pulao
Chole Amla pulao is an aromatic rice dish, which is unique, simple, easy and healthy.
It warms you up from the inside out. Each serving is loaded with fiber, protein and vitamins. When I eat a bowl of this, I feel better immediately!
So it’s perfect for easy lunches/suppers or even for breakfast.
Amla/Gooseberry enhances food absorption, balances stomach acid, fortifies the liver, nourishes the brain and mental functioning, supports the heart, strengthens the lungs, regulates elimination of free radicals, enhances fertility, helps the urinary system, increases skin health, promotes healthier hair, acts as a body coolant, flushes out toxins, increases vitality, strengthens eyes, improves muscle tone and acts as an antioxidant.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-30 minutes
- Brown basmathi rice-1 cup
- Chickpeas/garbanzo beans-1 cup
- Grated Amla/gooseberry-3-4
- Chopped onion-1 medium
- Bay leaf-1
- Salt- to taste
- Oil-2 tsp
- Shahi jeera/black cumin-2 tsp (can substitute with cumin seeds)
- Bay leaf-1
- Cinnamon stick-1
- Minced ginger-1 tsp
- Minced garlic-2 cloves
- Slit Green chillies-3
- Lemon juice- to taste
- Chopped coriander
- Wash and soak chickpeas overnight, once soaked drain, rinse again and set aside. (if using canned skip this set just rinse thoroughly)
- Wash amla, grate it using grater, discard the seeds and set aside.
- Make a course paste out of ingredients mentioned under ‘to grind’ by adding little water.
- Rinse and soak the rice for 30 minutes, drain and set aside.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and add bay leaf, grated amla and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add in onion and fry till soft and add in soaked and drained chickpeas and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in ground masala paste and saute for 2-3 minutes/until the raw smell disappears.
- Add soaked and drained rice fry for sometime, add salt mix well and then add 3-3 1/2 cup of water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
- (if using canned chickpeas add in once the cooker release the steam and simmer for 2-3 minutes until the chickpeas blends in and heated through)
- Then stir in some lemon juice. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with chopped coriander.
You can also serve with:
- If using canned chickpeas rinse thoroughly before use and add in once the rice is cooked.