Bhindi/Okra/Ladies finger and Methi/Fenugreek masala
This is a simple stir fry with an extremely flavorful and easy way to get your goodness of bhindi and greens to fix, ginger and garlic brings a bit of zest to round off each bite with some aromatic indian spices.
Health benefits of Okra/Bhindi:
Okra, also known as “lady’s finger” or “bamia” is one of the popular nutritious vegetables of North-East African origin.
The health benefits of okra include its ability to lower total cholesterol levels, improve digestive health, improve vision, boost skin health, protect infant health, prevent certain cancers, strengthen bones, improve cardiovascular health, aid the immune system, lower blood pressure, and protect heart health.
- Yields – 3-4 servings
- Preparation time – 15 minutes
- Cooking time – 20 minutes
- Bhindi/okra-250 to 300 gms
- Fenugreek leaves/Methi-1 bunch
- Finely chopped onion-1medium sized
- Crushed garlic-2cloves
- Crushed ginger-1tsp
- Red chilli powder-1tsp
- Amchur/dry mango powder-1/2tsp
- Coriander powder-1tsp
- Garam masala-1/2tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Sesame seeds
- Chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
- Rinse thoroughly bhindi/okra and pat dry them in a kitchen towel.
- Discard the ends and chop into 1-2inch pieces.
- Wash methi or fenugreek leaves, roughly chop them and set aside.
- Heat 2tsp oil in a kadai , add chopped bhindi , keep stirring and saute until cooked. Once cooked keep it aside.
For Masala fry:
- Heat remaining 2tsp oil in the same kadai add onions, saute until translucent.
- Add crushed ginger, garlic and saute for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes, fenugreek leaves and saute for couple of minutes until tomatoes and methi are cooked.
- Now add all the dry spices (coriander powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder, garam masala, turmeric) sprinkle some water to avoid burning and stir well until combined.
- Let it cook until the raw flavour goes off.
- Now add the sautéed bhindi/okra , salt mix well until it coats with the masala.
- Sprinkle some water if required and let it cook for another 2-3minutes with the lid covers. (stir in between)
- Garnish with sesame seeds and coriander.
Serve hot with
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste.
Posted on December 29, 2015, in Indian and tagged bendekaye menthya palya, bendekaye palya, bhindi fry, drch, easy side dish, easy stir fry, fenugreek bhindi fry, ladies finger stir fry, okra stir fry, sabzi photography, sabzi styling, stir fry photography, stir fry styling for photography. Bookmark the permalink. 35 Comments.