Sprouted methi/fenugreek seeds rice
I know what you think- fenugreek seeds sprouts? Eh? Does anybody eat them? Somehow they are not on most people’s favorite list because of its bitterness… But I think they are very healthy and since its sprouted –protein rich as well, super easy to cook and I used black cumin with made this incredibly flavorsome! And there is “a trick” to making them taste good- simply cook the sprouts/fenugreek seeds until done, that’s it 🙂
The health benefits of fenugreek include relief from anemia, loss of taste, fever, dandruff, stomach disorders, biliousness, respiratory disorders, mouth ulcers, sore throat, diabetes, inflammations, wounds and insomnia.
Preparation time- 20 minutes (included cooking time of rice)
Cooking time-20 minutes
- Brown basmati rice-1cup
- Methi sprouts-1/2cup
- Chopped onion- 1medium
- Chopped green chillies-2-3
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp (I used shahi jeera/black cumin)
- Curry leaves-2sprigs
- Channa dal-2tsp
- Urad dal/split black gram-2tsp
- Salt, lemon juice-to taste
- Chopped coriander/cilantro
- Wash and soak methi seeds overnight. After soaking time drain water and cover the seeds with the wet muslin cloth/kitchen towel and allow it to sprout for a day or two.
- Wash and soak brown rice for an hour, after soaking time drain water from rice and set aside.
- Now boil enough water in a saucepan –add soaked and washed brown rice, salt and cook until rice is fluffy and cooked.
- Once rice is cooked drain water completely and spread on a broad plate/pan until completely cooled.
For the rice:
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds as it splutters, add cumin seeds, channa dal, urad dal, curry leaves and saute for few seconds.
- Add onion, green chillies, turmeric and fry until onions are translucent.
- Add sprouted fenugreek seeds saute until cooked (~6-8minutes)
- Once the sprouts are cooked completely- add cooked rice , salt mix well and continue to cook on a medium low flame for 2-3minutes/ until the flavours are infused.
- Turn foo the flame and stir in some lemon juice.
- Garnish with fresh coriander/cilantro
- Serve with
Peanut Mint Chutney
- Brown rice can be replaced with the regular rice/basmathi rice/cracked wheat.
- If you feel sprouting is a long process, I can be used just after overnight soaking.
- If the sprouted fenugreek seeds are cooked/sauted completely until cooked the bitterness of the fenugreek seeds is not much here, but still if you feel the quantity of fenugreek seeds is more- feel free to personalise as per the taste.
Posted on January 10, 2016, in Indian and tagged Brown rice recipe, diabetic recipe, easy stir fry rice, fenugreek seeds rice, fenugreek sprouts recipe, methi seeds rice, methi yellow rice, simple healthy recipe, sprouts recipe. Bookmark the permalink. 48 Comments.