It’s surprisingly subtle in its tangy spicing but it’s impossible to stop at one serving, the sunflower seeds and almonds adds a creamy texture to the sauce and especially if there’s some soft bread around to mop up the sauce. The best part is it can easily be converted to vegan by just swaping paneer with tofu and milk with almond/coconut milk: cubed firm or extra-firm tofu does the job perfectly!
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-20-25 minutes
- Herbed Paneer ~ 250gms (home made recipe)
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Salt- to taste
- Kasoori methi-1tsp
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Coriander powder-1tsp
- Semi skimmed Milk-1/2-3/4cup (adjust as per the consistency)
For the sauce/gravy:
- Coarsely chopped onion-1medium
- Tomatoes-4 medium
- Sunflower seeds-2-3tbsp
- Cinnamon-1 inch stick
- Ginger-2inch (peeled and chopped)
- Chopped fresh cilantro/coriander
- Soak almonds, sunflower seeds in 1/4cup water for 30-40minutes.
For the sauce/gravy:
- Heat oil in a pan and add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, garlic and saute for few seconds or minute.
- Now add onion, tomato and saute for until onions and tomatoes are cooked.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Meanwhile blend the soaked almond and sunflower seeds until smooth paste and set aside.
- Now in the same jar add the sauted onion, tomato and puree until smooth by adding some water while blending.
Home made panner used
- Heat a non-stick pan and toast the paneer cubes until golden brown on all sides , transfer on to the plate and set aside. (I havnt used any oil here, feel free to drizzle some if required)
For the gravy:
- Heat oil in the think bottomed pan and add cumin seeds, add onion tomato puree, almond-sunflower seeds paste and cook for 2-3minutes or until slightly thickens.
- Now add dry ingredients- turmeric, coriander, chilli powder, salt and continue to cook for 2-3minutes.
- Add milk and sauted paneer and simmer for 8-10minutes or until the paneer is coated well with the sauce and turn off the heat.
- Stir in some kasuri methi and finally garnish with fresh cilantro/coriander.
- Spices can be personalised as per the taste
- Store bought paneer can also be used