Dalia Methi and Amla – Upma/Porridge
A simple and healthy savory breakfast made using cracked wheat / broken wheat and vegetables and using Amla.
Dalia/Cracked wheat are a great source of dietary fiber and hence help in maintaining the digestive system. They are rich in iron and have no saturated fat or cholesterol. Cracked wheat get cooked fast and are a great option for a quick and healthy breakfast to start off the day
Amla enhances food absorption, balances stomach acid, fortifies the liver, supports the heart, enhances fertility, increases skin health, promotes healthier hair, acts as a body coolant, strengthens eyes, improves muscle tone and acts as an antioxidant.
Preparation time-10 minutes
Cooking time-20-25 minutes
- Dalia/broken wheat- 1cup
- Mustard seeds-1tsp
- Cumin seeds-1tsp
- Curry leaves-1-2sprigs
- Chopped Green chillies-2-3
- Grated amla/indian gooseberry- 2
- Chopped methi/fenugreek leaves-1cup
- Chopped tomato-1medium
- Chopped cabbage-1/2cup
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped carrot-1medium
- Frozen peas-1/2cup
- Salt and lime juice – to taste
- Chopped cilantro/corainder
- Finely chop all the veggies using a chopped and set aside.
- In a pan dry roast the cracked wheat/dalia on a medium low flame until you get aroma or it turns golden. Once roasted transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Now heat oil in the same pan add mustard seeds as it splutters, add cumin seeds, curry leaves, slit green chillies, onion, grated Amla/gooseberry and saute until onions are translucent.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, carrots, cabbage and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Then add peas, fenugreek leaves and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Then add water and let it come to a boil.
- Once water comes to a boil, add in the roasted cracked wheat/dalia and stir well, cover and cook on a medium –high flame until the cracked wheat absorbs all water.
- Once the dalia absorbs all water and cooked turn off the flame, stir in some lime/lemon juice and leave it covered for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro/coriander and serve hot
- Dalia aka cracked wheat/ broken wheat.
- Combination of vegetables can be personalised as per the taste.
- Dalia can aslo be replaced with bulgur wheat/cous cous but if using them water quantity, cooking time may vary.
Posted on September 24, 2015, in Indian and tagged amla recipe ideas, broken wheat upma, dalia recipes, diabetic breakfast recipes, Diabetic recipes, Healthy Breakfast ideas, Healthy breakfast recipes, Indian healthy breakfast recipes, methi breakfast recipes. Bookmark the permalink. 29 Comments.