Baked baby corn Manchurian
Baby corn manchurian is a much sought after indo chinese starter. Manchuian is a very popular Indo-Chinese fusion preparation and there are two versions. Dry one often served as starter and manchurian with gravy, served as side dish. Apart from onions, I have added green and yellow bell peppers in this manchurian dry recipe
I parboiled baby corn in very hot water with salt to reduce raw flavour of it even after baking it.
Preparation time-15 minutes
Cooking time-10 minutes
Baking time-25-30 minutes
Preparing baby corn:
- Baby corn-10-12
- Rice flour-2tbsp
- Corn starch-2tbsp
- Besan flour/plain flour-1/4cup
- Turmeric powder-1/4tsp
- Chilli powder-1tsp
- Oil- for baking
- Chopped onion-1medium
- Chopped bell peppers-1
- Spring onion white-1/4cup
- Slit Green chillies- 2
- Ground pepper powder-1/4tsp
- Corn starch/flour-1tbsp
- Chopped garlic-3cloves
- Soya sauce-1tbsp
- Red chilli sauce-1tbsp
- Salt- to taste
- Chopped spring onion greens-for garnishing
- Wash baby corn thoroughly chop them into bite size pieces.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and add a pinch of salt to it, add the chopped baby corn and par boil for 4-5minutes. Drain and pat c=dry using a kitchen towel.
- Pre-heat the oven at 200deg C , line and grease the baking tray and set aside.
- Now in a bowl combine rice flour, corn starch, besan/plain flour salt, turmeric, chilli powder – add water little at a time until a thick batter is obtained.
- Now dip the parboiled baby corn in the batter coat well and arrange in the prepared baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden- flipping halfway.
- For the Manchurian sauce:
- Dissolve corn starch in 2-3 tbsp water ant set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok/kadai, add in onion, spring onion and saute for 2-3 minutes/until translucent.
- Add garlic, slit green chillies, bell peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Now add soya sauce,vinegar, chilli sauce, salt mix well and cook for a minute.
- Now add baked baby corn and toss until well combined with the sauce and let it cook until heated through.
- Finally season with ground pepper powder turn off the flame.
- Garnish with spring onion greens and serve hot.
I used homemade chilli sauce here (recipe link).
- Coated Baby corn can be deep fried added crunchiness or it can be shallow fried in the skillet or pan as well instead of baking.
- Sauces can be personalised as per the taste.
- Store bought one can also be used.
I am bringing this recipe to Kimmy’s HVF#33